game and shake hands.

• — Jason Vargas never talks to fans from the on-deck circle <a title="Jeff Skinner Jersey" href="http://www.officialhurricanes.com/authentic-adidas-jeff-skinner-jersey">Jeff Skinner Jersey</a> , just like major league teams never line up after a game and shake hands.

Put a big league game in a tiny park full of 11 and 12 year olds, though, and those kinds of customs get tossed aside.

Amed Rosario had three hits and drove in three runs, and the New York Mets went from cheering on players in the Little League World Series to impressing the youngsters in an 8-2 victory over the Philadelphia Phillies on Sunday night.

Jeff McNeil added a two-run single to back Vargas (3-8) as the Mets claimed the second Little League Classic and prevented the Phillies from moving into first place in the NL East. Philadelphia dropped into a three-way tie for the top NL wild card.

“I had some cool interactions with the kids,” Vargas said of his in-game dialogue. “They were having a great time.”

Carlos Santana hit a two-run homer for the Phillies, but Nick Pivetta (7-10) allowed six runs in 3 2/3 innings in Philadelphia’s seventh loss in 11 games.

After the final out, players lined up across the diamond for a postgame tradition for kids that’s never seen in the majors.

“I thought the handshaking gesture was huge,” Phillies manager Gabe Kapler said. “It’s something I experienced for the first time since I was in Little League.”

Players and families from the 16 teams competing in the nearby LLWS packed into 2,500-seat Bowman Field, the 92-year-old home of the Phillies’ Class A affiliate in the New York-Penn League.

And the spotlight shined on New York’s Todd Frazier and Michael Conforto and Philadelphia’s Scott Kingery, who are among 54 players who reached the majors after playing in the LLWS.

“Pretty surreal because I walked into the dugout and they were getting ready to play a game and one of them was like, ‘Whoa, that’s Scott Kingery!'” said the rookie infielder, who doubled in the fifth. “That’s crazy <a title="Authentic Taylor Hall Jersey" href="http://www.officialdevils.com/authentic-adidas-taylor-hall-jersey">Authentic Taylor Hall Jersey</a> , because I remember when I was sitting in that dugout.”

Frazier, who sparked a four-run second with a leadoff single, helped Toms River, New Jersey, win the 1998 title when he led off the game with a home run and struck out the final batter.

“It’s been a long day, but well worth it,” said Frazier, who hadn’t been back to Williamsport since 1999. “I kept telling these kids, let it all sink in.”

The Mets built a 6-0 lead in the fourth to take the five-game series and improve to 8-5 against the Phillies, who dropped a half-game behind division-leading Atlanta.

The teams flew 185 miles Sunday morning from Philadelphia, where the first four games were played. They were met by youth players at the airport, then bused to the Little League complex.

“We were driving through the city and people were coming out of their homes and waving to us,” Mets manager Mickey Callaway said.

While watching the kids play, Mets ace Jacob deGrom interviewed some for TV. Santana took selfies with the youngsters. Phillies outfielder Rhys Hoskins chased down Little Leaguer and internet sensation Alfred “Big Al” Delia.

“We share a common love <a title="Craig Smith Jersey" href="http://www.officialpredators.com/authentic-adidas-craig-smith-jersey">Craig Smith Jersey</a> , hitting dingers,” Hoskins said.

Hoskins narrowly missed homering with a long foul in the third and a single off the wall in the sixth against Vargas, who entered with an 8.10 ERA.

Santana followed with his 18th homer, and Vargas was lifted after allowing two runs and six hits in 5 1/3 innings.

Rosario had a two-run single in the second, chased Pivetta with a single in the fourth and added a sixth-inning RBI single.

The Little League teams were introduced, in full uniform, before the game. They danced between innings, ate plenty of ice cream and watched the lowly Mets collect 14 hits.

“Some of them are stepping into America for the first time ever and they get to see a Major League Baseball game. I think that’s pretty cool,” Frazier said. “And that one kid who’s never been here before, you want to show them the right way to play and how exciting it is and how great it is.”

NEXT YEAR

Commissioner Rob Manfred announced the Cubs will face the Pirates in next year’s Williamsport game on Aug. 18.

HAPPY ADDITIONS

Two of the more excited players were Phillies C Andrew Knapp and Mets 1B Dominic Smith, who were recalled from the minors. Each team could add a 26th player because it was a neutral site game.

“A tremendous experience,” said Smith, who had an RBI double in the eighth.

Knapp purchased a West regional Little League cap. The California native fell a couple wins shy of reaching LLWS when he was a kid.

“I didn’t get one when I was 11, so I had to get one now <a title="Youth Mikko Koivu Jersey" href="http://www.officialwild.com/authentic-adidas-mikko-koivu-jersey">Youth Mikko Koivu Jersey</a> ,” he said.

TRAINER’S ROOM

Mets: Brandon Nimmo (left index finger) was out of the lineup for the fourth straight game. … 3B David Wright (shoulder, back) ended an 0-for-14 rehab skid by going 2 for 3 for Class A St. Lucie while playing five innings in the field. … OF Jay Bruce (left hip) went 2 for 5 as the DH for St. Lucie.

Phillies: RHP Jerad Eickhoff (right lat) allowed one run and three hits in 4 2/3 innings for Triple-A Lehigh Valley.

UP NEXT

Mets: RHP Zack Wheeler (8-6, 3.75 ERA) opposes San Francisco LHP Derek Holland (6-8, 3.83) on Monday night in New York.

Phillies: RHP Vince Velasquez (8-9, 4.13) faces Nationals RHP Tanner Roark on Tuesday night to open a three-game series at Washington.

Defenseman Derrick Pouliot snapped a 1-1 tie with his third goal of the season early in the third period and the Vancouver Canucks defeated the Edmonton Oilers 2-1 Thursday night for their third consecutive win.

Sam Gagner also scored for the Canucks, who have won four of their past five games.

Connor McDavid scored for the Oilers, who have lost two in a row. Edmonton is 3-2-1 in its past six games.

Pouliot gave Vancouver the lead just 2 minutes into the third period. Nikolay Goldobin fed the Canucks defenseman a pass from along the boards. Pouliot skated in on Oilers goalie Cam Talbot, make a deke then scored his first goal in 42 games.

Leon Draisaitl had a chance to tie the game on an Oilers power play late in the third, but his shot hit the post. Ryan Strome’s slap shot also hit the post after a Canucks giveaway with just over two minutes remaining.

McDavid’s goal was his 41st of the season, giving him an NHL-leading 103 points, leaving him six ahead of Tampa Bay’s Nikita Kucherov. McDavid trails Washington’s Alex Ovechkin by four goals in the race for the Rocket Richard Trophy.

Vancouver goaltender Jacob Markstrom stopped 35 shots. He’s 4-0-0 in his past four starts. Talbot made 28 saves for the Oilers.

Markstrom kept the Canucks in the game with some big stops, including getting a pad on Milan Lucic’s shot in the first period.

”For me right now it’s just a carry-over from the feeling I had in the previous games,” Markstrom said. ”I just keep building on it.”

McDavid showed some of his magic on the game’s opening goal at 11:33 of the first period. After defenseman Andrej Sekera flipped a puck down the ice, McDavid showed his speed by skating around Gagner then muscled defenseman Michael Del Zotto off the puck. He scored on a shot that hit Markstrom’s blocker <a title="Zack Smith Jersey" href="http://www.officialsenators.com/authentic-adidas-zack-smith-jersey">Zack Smith Jersey</a> , went off the post, and into the net.

Gagner was also battling the flu Thursday.

”When you get stuck on the ice with him (McDavid) it’s not funny even when you are feeling 100 percent,” Gagner said. ”Obviously he’s special.”

The Oilers captain has 14 points (seven goals, seven assists) in his past six games.

Gagner earned some redemption by tying the game at 15:14 of the second. Daniel Sedin took a shot from the faceoff circle that Talbot stopped. Gagner, alone at the side of the net, put in the rebound for his third goal in four games.

”You never want to be a culprit on a goal-against,” Gagner said. ”It was a tough one there. I thought the guys battled back really well. It’s a nice feeling.”

Adam Gaudette, the former Northeastern University Husky who recently signed with Vancouver after leading the NCAA with 30 goals and 60 points, played his first NHL game. On his opening shift, he sent a sizzling shot just wide of the Oilers net.

NOTES: Gaudette is a finalist for the Hobey Baker Award as the best player in NCAA hockey. … Henrik Sedin’s opening shift of the game was the 30,000th of his career. … Brendan Gaunce returned to the Canucks lineup after missing 24 games with a foot injury. … With several Canucks down with the flu, Jake Virtanen was a late scratch. … The game’s first penalty came at 12:33 of the second period when Vancouver’s Darren Archibald was called for interference. … Al Montoya dressed as the Oilers backup goaltender after missing two games with an injury.

UP NEXT:

Oilers: Travel to Calgary on Saturday night.

Canucks: Host Columbus on Saturday.

<a title="New Orleans Saints Customized Jerseys" href="http://www.officialusafootballs.com/new-orleans-saints/customized">New Orleans Saints Customized Jerseys</a>

Looks like your connection to GXChain Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.